Friday 21 September 2012

The Garden

My mom grew up in a flower-covered home in the middle of Zimbabwe. When she was a little girl, she would spend her days discovering new plants and reading in her mom's flower oasis. They had lilies towering over small children, roses and "dinner plate" dahlias fully blooming, and colors able to captivate the heart of anyone who crossed their path. Flash forward a few decades later, and here I am, admiring the sweet scents and colors of the garden my mom has so lovingly grown. Give her any kind of flower, and she'll give you its name off by heart. One day, I hope to have a garden like the ones my mom and her mom have grown. And maybe, just maybe, this little tradition will be passed down to another generation someday..:) 

Much love, Vivi

7 comments:

  1. wonderful pictures, and words! those flowers look absolutely beautiful :) x - Jianine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...a love of nature and the outdoors is one of the best gifts that can be passed down through the generations. Pretty post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks lovely, I would love to sit outside and read or write there! We don't have much of a garden due to health but I hope to be able to start a big one next Spring. The pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful garden :)
    I've only started to appreciate gardens recently, they really are a work of art that a lot of hard work goes into xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. these pictures are beautiful! interesting story about your mom, Zimbabwe is a far away place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what beautiful pictures! hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers! i wish i was a better gardener...it looks like your mom is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely lovely, I always stop by your blog for a lil breath of fresh air! My mother knows every plant name as well, it is pretty handy! In our wee apartment space I always try to at least add some potted green friends, they brighten our day, every day!

    ReplyDelete